Quake Teen Found Alive After 4 Days

In Earthquakes & Tsunamis, Europe, News Headlines

A teenager has been pulled alive from the rubble of a collapsed building more than 100 hours after an earthquake struck eastern Turkey.

The 18-year-old named Imdat was found by rescuers searching for survivors in the town of Ercis, which took the full brunt of the 7.2 magnitude quake.

His tale of survival, which has given hope to many who are still awaiting news of missing loved ones, follows reports that search and rescue efforts have been called off in the neighbouring town of Van.

It also comes just hours after a 19-year-old student called Mohammed was rescued nearby.

The death toll now stands at 534 but is expected to climb as emergency teams continue to scour through rubble for survivors.

A further 2,300 people have been injured as a result of Sunday’s earthquake.

Although hopes for finding more survivors are fading, there have been stories of ‘miracle’ rescues.

A 27-year-old woman was rescued on Wednesday after being trapped under rubble for almost three days.

Gozde Bahar spent 67 hours under a collapsed building before she was freed by emergency workers.

Doctors managed to revive the English language teacher after her heart stopped en route to hospital in the town of Ercis.

Just five hours earlier, 18-year-old student Michael Erdem was found with only minor injuries.

The Disaster and Emergency Administration said 185 people had now been rescued alive.

A newborn baby, just 14-days old, shocked emergency workers after being found to have survived 46 hours in the wreckage.

The little girl, named locally as Azra Karaduman, was quickly wrapped in a blanket and whisked away in an ambulance to the sound of overjoyed rescuers clapping.

Meanwhile, Turkish officials have said they will now accept foreign aid from neighbours, including Israel with whom it has a strained relationship.

Ankara had initially said it could cope on its own but the urgent need for housing materials for those left homeless has forced it to reconsider.

Riots broke out on Tuesday night in a prison in the Van region after authorities refused to transfer frightened inmates to a safer area.

Prisoners feared they could be crushed in their cells following a big aftershock from the quake, while family members urged action outside.

Smoke billowed into the sky with a soundtrack of gunshots, after prisoners set fire to their blankets in protest and attacked guards with scissors and knives.

The disturbance was quickly contained, with soldiers brought in to restore order.

Leave a reply:

Your email address will not be published.

Mobile Sliding Menu